Saturday, April 21, 2007

Romance Cover Contest 2006

What used to be the All About Romance website's annual bookcover contest now has its own website, called Cover Cafe, Home of the Annual Cover Contest. The most fun, of course, is seeing the nominees for worst cover of the year.

Note, alas, that my friend Rexanne Becnel's 2006 Harlequin NEXT release, Leaving L.A., is among the nominees for Worst Cover. I've inserted it with this entry. Rexanne hated the cover, which she found appalling, and so far I haven't heard anyone disagree with her. What was the NEXT editorial board thinking???

Don't judge the book by its cover, however. Rexanne's an excellent writer; her book did not deserve that awful cover.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Oh, Wow, I feel bad for Rexanne. Not a pretty picture.

RK Sterling said...

Yeah, agreeing with Charles' "Wow". That's terrible.

Rebecca Benston said...

I guess the cover could have been worse, though I won't make suggestions for how. It really is a struggle to make sure your cover design fits your work without being offensive. My books are about murders, mostly, so I guess I'm lucky they haven't been more graphic. Interesting post!