Friday, August 31, 2007

K+2Y: I got by with a little help from my friends


As you know, Wednesday (August 29) marked the second anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Here in the greater New Orleans area, it was commemorated by dozens of events--prayer services, memorial ceremonies, solemn convocations, art shows, musical performances, brunch/lunch/dinner gatherings, and assemblies of survivors. I observed the day by meeting a group of friends for lunch at VooDoo Barbecue (in New Orleans, nearly every event starts with food, ends with food, or centers on food). We adjourned for dessert to the home of one among us, Laura Joh Rowland. Laura's home, in the Gentilly neighborhood, sustained major damage, but has been restored. Originally we planned to head out from Laura's for a tour of some of the worst-affected areas--Chalmette, the Ninth Ward, Lakeview--but the sky was pouring rain and some of us were feeling our arthritis too much to go farther afield.

It was a good day. Being with my friends comforted me and lifted my spirits. There's an underlying sadness now to gatherings in this city; we always are aware--sometimes subliminally--of those who didn't survive the disaster and those who haven't returned from afar. Yet with each gathering we celebrate that we're still here, we still have friends here, we still have life. Love and human connections and our bond with This City are what keep us going.

In a followup to my August 28 post on Chris Rose, here's a link to "As Not Read by Oprah," his column published on Wednesday--the day he was to appear on the Oprah show. He was bummed out because they would not allow him to mention his book in any way. (They only wanted him because he went public with his bout of depression.) With his usual sardonic wit, he points out why they were wrong.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

So I have to know -- did they include his segment? Do we know? I loved his article and I have to say, I respect the heck out of the fact that he refused to sign their gag order.

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoyed his tale of the Oprah experience very much. Seems to me the Oprah folks are admitting that most of their viewers aren't smart enough to recognize the difference between O saying: "I like and recommend this book," and some author simply mentioning his book on the show.

Sphinx Ink said...

Lisa, I wasn't home to watch the show, but a couple of my friends did. They said Chris did appear, for a total of just a few minutes, taken from the taped interview with him. So his total air time was very limited--but he did get on. And yes, ya gotta give it to the guy for refusing to sign the agreement.

Charles, I think you're right on the money (grin) with why the Oprah people won't allow any mention of books except for those officially selected for the Oprah Book Club.

Sidney said...

I was recovering from surgery in the days after Katrina. Checking CNN for headlines this weekend has reminded me of the afternoons watching live coverage from New Orleans. I never would have dreamed we would see anything like it, and I never would have dreamed the aftermath would be what it was.

Here's to the continuing recovery!

Steve Malley said...

Great article. Now I ahve to go buy the book....

Sphinx, y'oughta work on commission! :)